Stephen Chace wrote:

Thanks to all,

I did not realize how much harder it is to network OS9 than OSX with Windows. No doubt if i had money to burn i could use DAVE but can't justify $150 US for home use.

For $0 run a mac emulator on the XP box, you can use the chooser on either the imac or from within the emulation to connect to each other and to any pre-OS9 machine, a nice trick that can be done under apples new version of NeXT. Naturally the pc can talk to any OSX box as it uses Samba, another bit of free software ported so OSX can talk to other machines.

The Windows version of SheepSaver runs ppc 7.5 - 9.2.2 ( Have 9.1 installed and I'm guessing further upgrades will also work) but sadly as yet there is no TAP ethernet patch made for it. Looking at the timetable its a month or two away. SheepSaver emulates the classic ppc OSes well otherwise at good speed. I mention this as Basilisk hardfiles can be loaded so you may "upgrade" from BII's 68k emulation to a ppc emulation in the near (maybe now?) future.

Finally, if your pc has some grunt, 1.8ghz or better - better *is* better, you can emulate OSX via PearPC which includes networking and is improving. I run Panther 10.3.8 this way with a boot time of 57seconds now, better than the G4/400 :) No prize there really as that mac was never made to run the OS. The office will be getting a copy of tiger or tabby or moggie - whatever this pay per view upgrade is called, I will be testing it soon. ;)

Can the new mini take older ADB peripherals? I still have a 6360 with a nice monitor and keyboard. Might be time for an upgrade.

Wait a year and the mini will be way cheaper if you must buy one, I'd save for a while and buy a real computer instead. If your only real need is networking my first suggestion is either Basilisk II on the doze box or VPC3 or 4 on the imac, ones free while you will have to ask for the other. ;)

A nix box provides a wealth of services, you need to be willing to learn!!! You will find the education worthwhile in the long run if your that way inclined.