This is a mac specific issue with the documentation and location of the
preferences. On all other OSes it is at "Tools" > "Prefences", whilst on the
mac, to be consistent with other apps it is "OpenOffice.org" >
"Preferences". Long term mac users understand this minor difference, however
the people reading the documentation probably don't.

There is a ticket, but I can't find it, for having two routes to the
preferences dialog. First the Mac method, and second the ooo method. This
way the documentation will be correct, and doesn't need fixing. It is also
better as people giving support on other platforms will find it easier.

Shaun