On Feb 19, 2012, at 5:57 PM, Harry Jacobson-Beyer wrote:

> I appreciate everyone's input in this issue. What I have gleaned from all 
> this discussion is that I probably don't have enough band width to load the 
> youtube videos in my ipad web browser but the youtube app probably handles 
> the videos differently or has other help coded in so the video's can be 
> watched through the app.
> 
> Problem not solved but at least understood.

Harry,

Let me suggest one more thing. When the iPad came out, Google began a project 
to make all their YouTube videos available as h.264 instead of Flash format. 
Some of the videos are still being served as Flash for obscure reasons such as 
licensing and advertising. Others are probably still Flash because it's a huge 
job. Google has a beta HTML5 project that converts videos on the fly so they 
can be played without Flash.

You can sign up for the HTML trial at <http://www.youtube.com/html5/>. I did so 
quite a while ago and it works quite well. (But I don’t  know if I’m a good 
judge because I play very few YouTube videos.)

L^2


_______________________________________________
MacGroup mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.math.louisville.edu/mailman/listinfo/macgroup

Reply via email to