It was a good night at the space.  Thanks for the help. You got is on the
right track. We got the mill moving without error albeit a bit slow on the
rapid (which is fine at the moment till we get things worked out).
I wasn't aware of pncconf it sounds like a good starting point.   I guess
we should call it bbbconf?
I'm thinking a qt front end should be the way to go.
Tom