On 12/10/16 12:58, Tom M wrote:

I'm thinking a qt front end should be the way to go.

You would think so wouldn't you?

There are currently all sorts of problems, including distro versions lagging behind released versions

Even Jessie still uses Qt4 if you choose to install qt-sdk.  You can install Qt5, but that is extra dependencies that others will not have
(or want, if they are using an SD image on a tiny ARM board)

Qt5.5 and greater broke Alex's QtQuickVcp, I don't know if that is fixed in later versions, I still use 5.4

Qt5 broke and dropped QtXEmbedContainer, so programs that worked quite happily, embedding say the gremlin widget in Qt4.xx, no longer work.
Qt5 no longer works on some window managers, like icewm (these 2 may be linked to its implementation of the X standard)

My advice would be to overcome your quite natural antipathy for python and gtk (yughh) and use the existing pncconf as a template to achieve functionality initially.

Then look at a modern interface in Qt, as an eventual replacement.
In time hopefully ALL the tk/tcl stuff will be replaced with something far less offensive :)

Tom

On Oct 11, 2016 1:04 PM, "Charles Steinkuehler" <char...@steinkuehler.net> wrote:
On 10/11/2016 12:50 PM, Tom M wrote:
> Charles,
> Thanks for the detailed response.  We have out cnc night tonight and given us
> much to look at.
>
> I wouldn't mind giving it go developing it a go  coming up with a configuration
> tool/GUI for the BBB. (Best way to learn about this stuff)
>
> I took a quick look at the source for stepconf and it appears to be glade/Python.
> I  was debating if I should copy the code and just refactor it to handle a BBB
> or start from scratch with QT Python c/c++.   Any thoughts?

Code in whatever works best for you.  I will say that I've recently
used glade, and it's a pain.  I actually installed a LinuxCNC instance
because it was the easiest (only?) way to get a coherently working
instance of the (ancient) GUI editor you have to use to make the ui
files.  :-/

...but that's for the HAL pyvcp stuff, you can probably use modern UI
tools for something like stepconf.

But I would suggest you start with pncconf instead of stepconf.  The
hal_pru_generic driver was modeled after the Mesa hostmot2 driver, so
you'll have fewer things to modify starting with pncconf (which
already has no base-thread and very similar pin names) vs. stepconf
which uses software stepping.

Whatever it's written in, having a utility that would spit out a
custom config along with a pin file (for use with config-pin -f) would
be AWESOME!!!  Good luck!

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net