I think refactoring a sticking with gtk at the moment will probably
minimize the pain,
I was poking around the code, only 10k lines
https://github.com/machinekit/machinekit/blob/master/src/
emc/usr_intf/pncconf/pncconf.py
I was trying firing up pncconf.py  It seems like a there are some
dependencies missing..
Something to play with this weekend.