On Feb 17, 2013, at 11:45 AM, Kevin Callahan wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2013, at 7:45 AM, LuKreme <krem...@kreme.com> wrote:
>
>> Kevin Callahan opined on Saturday 16-Feb-2013@23:05:10
>>> My iMac takes about an hour to prepare, backup and cleanup.
>>> This happens every hour.
>>> Oh - add spotlight indexing to that.
>>
>> This is very odd. Backups should not take more than a few (3-4) minutes
>> unless there is a massive amount of data changed. How much data is being
>> backed up each time (Console will tell yu if you don’t happen to see it).
>
> Yeah, it baffles me how much I see being backed up during times when I've
> felt very little should have changed on my system.

> Just now, it backed up 22 MB pretty quickly, but the cleanup took a fairly
> long time.

I don't know the internals of the OS X backup system, but I know the internals
of a few others.  From its performance on my own system, I presume it keeps a
modest list of stuff that got changed between backups so that it doesn't have
to scan the whole file system every hour.  I would also presume that this would
be tied in somehow with the Spotlight mechanism, as much the same mechanism is
required for both jobs.  The first thing I would do is clobber all my Spotlight
indexes and get them rebuilt -- see if that suddenly gets things working faster
AFTER the next scheduled backup.

Also, I know that whenever I launch an app that uses an SQLite database (Sequel
Pro, MailSteward, a couple others), the database file immediately gets marked
as modified, even if all I wanted to do was fetch from it.  If the database is
huge (e.g., MailSteward), just looking up an old email will schedule the entire
multi-gigabyte file for a backup.  Does Xcode use SQL databases, or do you have
some other app that does?

--
  Macs R We -- Personal Macintosh Service and Support
    in the Wickenburg and far Northwest Valley Areas.