On Feb 18, 2013, at 12:31 AM, Arno Hautala wrote:

> TimeMachine uses Spotlight to flag directories that have had changes since
> the last backup. It then scans these folders to find the actual files that
> have changed.
>
> I had a problem a while back where backups were taking forever and I
> determined that the culprit was my offlineimap backup of my Gmail account.
> I'm only backing up the "All Mail" folder, but that results in a single
> folder containing 10s of thousands of files. Every hour a few more would be
> added and TM would have to scan every file. I started backing up this folder
> with rsync, excluded it from TimeMachine, and the lengthy delay went away.
>
> So, you can use 'tmutil compare' to determine what makes up the latest
> backup, but keep in mind that this isn't a complete picture of all the files
> that TimeMachine inspected when backing up.

Ah, I didn't know about tmutil.  Probably beats find.  (Though neither the
shell nor man can find it in 10.6...?)

> You could always grep for 'backupd' in /var/log/system.log and post a few
> complete backup cycles. This would point out if there's a specific stage that
> is taking a long time.

Since his problem isn't the inspecting time, but the data size, maybe tmutil
can give him what he needs to solve his problem.

--
  Macs R We -- Personal Macintosh Service and Support
    in the Wickenburg and far Northwest Valley Areas.