Okay, I was able to circumvent the iPhone/Finder issue. I found a website that
shows you how to reinstall iTunes on Big Sur! It works! Here's hoping that
Monterey resolves the underlying issue and doesn't break even more stuff...

Now onto another Bug Sur (sic) problem: I can print to but no longer scan from
any of my (HP/Canon) All-in-one print/copy/scan printers! The OEM software
hangs on Big Sur, and apps like Preview and Image Capture time out and claim
there was a "connection failure with the device".

In my google search frenzy I noticed there is an app called VueScan that
purports to overcome any/all issues with scanning on macOS. Before I plunk down
$20 on it, has anyone used it? Is there another solution?

-Carl