On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

> > (gdb) run configpm configpm.tmp
> > Starting program: /Users/lshatzer/perl/bleadperl/./miniperl configpm
> > configpm.tmp
> > [Switching to thread 1 (process 12126 thread 0x1a07)]
> > dyld: /Users/lshatzer/perl/bleadperl/./miniperl multiple definitions of
> > symbol _Perl_ck_exec
> > /Users/lshatzer/perl/bleadperl/./miniperl definition of _Perl_ck_exec
> > /System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib(op.o) definition of
> > _Perl_ck_exec
>
> Ho-hum.  On closer inspection the dynaloader error messages look much like
> there's a big confusion going on: both the symbols of the newly built
> (mini)perl *AND* the operating system's already installed shared
> Perl library are visible.  This definitely smells like a dangerous
> recipe, we are mixing symbols from a 5.7.1+ executable and 5.6.0
> library together.  Now, why is the /System shared lib being pulled in?

This looks like a textbook example of why we have version numbers by
default in $archlib.  There is a more detailed discussion in the INSTALL
file and also in Porting/pumpkin.pod under the heading

    =head2 Shared libperl.so location

I don't know why the Darwin build removes the version numbers, but I
suspect if we put them back in, things might work again.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Dept. of Physics