>Most of the sample widgets I've seen, I'd rather
>seo them available as menubar widgets instead.

Come on Chris - that's a bit like dismissing something just because there's
only a poxy hello world example, and why on earth would anyone just want to
print hello world?

>I dunno, this is slick, but I'm still underwhelmed for some reason. Maybe
>it's my deep-seated aversion to software skins & related wacky interface
>shenanigans that usually comes up with such software (mp3 players, etc).

But it's not skins. It's a way to create guis for little gobbets of
functionality. Yes there's the script menu, the BigCat contextual script
menu (Brent Simmon's more important bit of code ;), LaunchBar, DragThing,
YoupiKey, QuicKey, KeyQuencer, ScriptGui, ShellShell and others which allow
you to trigger scripts but none of them offer much by way of returning info
to the user and none of them (DragThing half-excepted) let you create your
own interface to work with. Oh, not forgetting AppleScriptStudio, but well,
hmmm.

Konfabulator is not just Kaleidoscope. What it is most like is Prefab
Player  or WestCodeSoft's OneClick <http://www.westcodesoft.com/oneclick/>
(quite simply the finest scripting productivity tool ever). Of course,
Konfabulator doesn't allow users to simply (and robustly) record actions
like OneClick did, nor does it offer a built-in widget to allow gui-based
construction of further widgets - but they're working on that last bit.

Although it doesn't appear to have any OSA hooks, you can invoke shell
commmands which return strings, so you could fire off perl from your
widgets [frantic attempt to bring things on topic]

Not that I've been able to actually use it (despite asking to beta it since
last September) cos I'm still on 10.1.5.