On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 07:42:23PM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> If someone submits a pull request for a maintained port, the
> maintainer should probably be notified explicitly with @username. The
> problem is that currently only Trac maintainers have access to that
> mapping.

It's not a set of data I'd like to keep forever. We're requesting
people's non-public email addresses from GitHub to do the migration, not
to implement arbitrary other features on top of that data.

> At some point (rather sooner than later) we'll have to start adding
> GitHub usernames to Portfiles (we might have to extend the base to
> properly support that).

I agree, especially because the GitHub username is now also valid in
Trac. At the moment, you'd get new tickets sent to your email address,
not your Trac account (unless a user notices the equivalence in the
auto-completion box).

> And quite honestly I would also be in favour of asking committers to
> use the same MacPorts handle as their GitHub account name (and only
> keep the old ones as aliases).

I like my handle, but I can see how it could lead to confusion. On the
other hand, the maintainer handles are bound to become less important in
the future anyway. If you want to reach a committer, there usually are
contact methods on their GitHub profile.

--
Clemens