Thanks,

I tried 10.7 first, but 5.4.2 would not install due to this message. Ergo moved
up the chain to the next machine I had in line.

>> Symbol not found: _NSPreferredScrollerStyleDidChangeNotification

> It would probably be possible to do this in the mkspec itself, and/or a
> module.pri file.

check

>> Ultimately, though, running the example application hits an abort() trap in
>> the QT core code
>
>> 2   org.qt-project.QtCore            0x00000001005df119
>> qt_message_fatal(QtMsgType, QMessageLogContext const&, QString const&) + 9

> You may actually get to see that message by running the application (the one
> in XXX.app/Contents/MacOS) from a Terminal...

aha ; of course. Good clue, and should have done that myself naturally... Leads
me somewhere...

$ ./analogclock
This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt
platform plugin "cocoa".

$ otool -L analogclock
analogclock:
        /opt/local/libexec/qt/5.4/clang_64/lib/QtGui.framework/Versions/5/QtGui
(compatibility version 5.4.0, current version 5.4.2)

/opt/local/libexec/qt/5.4/clang_64/lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore
(compatibility version 5.4.0, current version 5.4.2)

/System/Library/Frameworks/DiskArbitration.framework/Versions/A/DiskArbitration
(compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
        /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit
(compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 275.0.0)
        /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL
(compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
        /System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Versions/A/AGL (compatibility
version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
        /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current
version 7.9.0)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 125.2.11)

===
Hey - why is it linked against libstdc++ ??? It was installed on 10.11 from a
5.4.2 binary. Would've thought it would link against libc++.

That might be a dealbreaker...

Later on I'll check the linking for the for QT components... bet I find they
are somehow all messed up too.

> Yes, that's almost certain. But remember that this is a war that's lost in
> advance, no matter how many battles you win...

Agreed. Sigh. I have several machines with EFI32 boot architectures that are
stuck in the time warp... unless I can figure out how to do that bootloader
hack with them I've seen on the 'net.

Besides 10.6 is just great - Rosetta, fast, etc, etc. And it runs enough to be
useful, but I'd like qt5 if it will be available...

Best,

ken