One of the reasons I prefer MacPorts is that it does NOT install in /usr/local.

I am still in the habit of thinking that /usr/local is a system directory that
is expected to be inaccessible to the masses (me in this case.)  Some
independent installers, like that for mysql, installed in /usr/local, and I
presume the thinking is similar.

When Apple declared open season on /usr/local, was it because of the
difficulties posed by SIP, or did it precede that?

I’ve had some success installing brew in /opt/homebrew, despite dire warnings
not to.

Peter

…

…