On 5 Nov 2019, at 20:39, Michael Newman via macports-users wrote:

Maybe I’m just not smart enough to play with MacPorts….

Unlikely.

This on an iMac still running Mojave.

This morning I did selfupdate and upgrade outdated with the following result:

Error: mysql57 cannot be built while boost is active.
Error: Please forcibly deactivate boost, e.g. by running:
Error:
Error:     sudo port -f deactivate boost
Error:
Error: Then try again. You can reactivate boost again later.

I deactivated boost as instructed and ran upgrade outdated again.

This is a quirk of MySQL and its use of the Boost suite of C++ libraries, which have weak version compatibility discipline. Basically, it's not safe to build MySQL without having its build tools download and build a specific version of Boost. Since Boost is used by many other open source packages, you almost certainly will need to reactivate the port now that you have MySQL updated.

This time mysql built OK, but I got:

Error: Failed to configure postgresql84,

Yes. It does that on Snow Leopard and High Sierra too. I don't think it can be fixed in a safe and maintainable way. See below...

The postgresql8* ports really should all be removed. PostgreSQL 8.4 is 4 major versions and 5+ years obsolete and the MacPorts ports have no maintainer. You should figure out why you have postgresql84 installed and update to a currently supported version. See https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/ for more information. Since postgresql84 is just the client components of PostgreSQL, updating to a current version shouldn't have much risk. If you also have postgresql84-server installed, that would imply that you have a PostgreSQL server running (i.e. with a database) and that may require substantial work that MacPorts can't do for you.

consult /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_databases_postgresql84/postgresql84/work/postgresql-8.4.22/config.log Error: Failed to configure postgresql84: configure failure: command execution failed

The config.log file referred to is just under 1000 lines long. Is there anything in particular I should look for?

It is unlikely to be worth your time, but the failure I get shows up in that log starting at line 694:

694: configure:8671: checking for SSL_library_init in -lssl
695: configure:8706: /usr/bin/clang -no-cpp-precomp -o conftest -pipe -Os -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk -arch x86_64 -Wa ll -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -fexcess-precision=standard -I/opt/lo cal/include -I/opt/local/include/ossp -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk -I/opt/local/include/libxml2 -I/opt/local/incl ude -L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -Wl,-syslibroot,/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk -arch x86_64 -L/opt/loca l/lib -L/opt/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib conftest.c -lssl -lcrypto -lz -lreadline -lm >&5 696: clang: warning: optimization flag '-fexcess-precision=standard' is not supported [-Wignored-optimization-argument]
697: Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
698:   "_SSL_library_init", referenced from:
699:       _main in conftest-ad294e.o
700: ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64

Your line numbers may vary.

The cause of this is that "SSL_library_init" is a function that does not exist in OpenSSL v1.1.x. It MAY be possible to install an old OpenSSL and fix the Portfile or write a patch to make the configure and build work, but then you'll have an obsolete PostgreSQL linked to an obsolete OpenSSL, and you really do not want that.

--
Bill Cole