  From: erik burggraaf
  To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 3:55 PM
  Subject: Re: does reading on the mac take two hands?

  Hi, you will get best joy out of your braille display, since a button on your
display will be set to scroll right and another to scroll left.  In many
instances where reading is required, such as typing a document in text edit,
the arrow keys do just fine on their own with out needing to use the voice over
keys.  When you need to use the voice over keys for long periods of reading,
your best bet is to simply lock the voice over keys with control option
semicolon.  Once you do that, every press on the keybord will act as if you
also pressed the voice over keys even though you haven't actually pressed them.
 Or to think of it another way, the voice over keys will be perminantly pressed
without you needing to take care of that yourself until you press the semicolon
to releace them.

  All things being equal though I suspect you will probably turn speech off and
use braille exclusively if you really like braille.  I have a friend who does
this and it's sick to watch.  I'd love to be able to do it, but I'm just not
that good at braille.

  Best,

  erik burggraaf
  A+ sertified technician and user support consultant.
  Phone: 888-255-5194
  Email: e...@erik-burggraaf.com