Including the two textbook chapters (one entirely on games and another
with a portion on audio games), a couple of peer reviewed articles on
the matter, a pile of blog articles (http://www.blindconfidential.blogspot.com
)  and the odd item here and there, I have studied a handful of audio
games in depth, fooled around with a few others and talked to a lot of
their authors but the breadth of my knowledge is far more narrow than
a dozen hardcore gamers I know and rely on for brief descriptions for
new entries  so I can quickly ascertain how they may move the science
in a new and/or different and interesting direction.

As I said this morning, I am far too boring to actually build a real
game and, when you scratch beyond the surface, you will find that
first and for mostly, I think about putting technology in the hands of
blinks that will provide them with the tools they may choose to employ
in a job or school situation.

If you are interested in mixing sound and tactile feedback, get a look
at a Falcon 3D tactile controller.  I think they have an SDK for Mac
and they do .5 mm tactile resolution (most humans can feel no better
than .1 mm) so you can do extraordinary things with this device and
they only cost about $ 100 (really).

I like the idea of using the iPhone for orientation and to provide
information about one's surroundings.  I'm not especially impressed by
the iPhone's Maps application but its location services are pretty
excellent.  I thought of this while walking through Harvard Yard after
lunch today and wondered how a student new to the university would
find the library as opposed to the historical center next door as none
of these buildings have traditional street addresses and are arrived
at by foot paths.  Your idea could give a student a lot of good
information and can be used as a fallback if they get confused.

Cool idea.
cdh