Hi,

I'm not sure that an orientation application would need HrtF as
buildings and such are big enough to not require pinpoint accuracy.
Also, typical mobile computing ear buds are probably not accurate
enough (unless you go for something like those from Shure at about
$250) to deliver the audio information in enough detail to really use
the HrtF capabilities.  I think it would be dangerous to wear a good
enough headset while walking places where we might encounter vehicles
or other dangerous obstacles - dangerous, of course, until we develop
virtual landscapes based on laser scans of our surroundings.  The
latter idea is, as of right now, purely science fiction but I can
imagine how it would work and can probably talk some of my electronic
hardware hackers to use laser range finders used by hunters to build a
real time wireframe models of our surroundings which, of course, would
"see" cars coming almost instantly and then we need to figure out how
to tell the user all of the information our vision synthesizer (audio
has had synthesizers for a long time, why not vision?)  has collected
and then couple that with location services and points of interest and
the like.

Happy Hacking,
cdh