The main difference between the three, as I remember, is:

1.  Airport Express is simply an extender,
2.  The Extreme is a router and wifi and,
3.  The Time Capsule is a router, wifi and disk drive.

I suspect you can use the drive as a regular drive, but I'm only using mine for
time machine backups, so can't really say for sure.

Jeff