Alex,

I don’t have the link handy but somewhere on apple’s website they have a chart
comparing the express, extreme, and time capsule. We are actually wanting to
update our almost 4 year old time capsule and so we are in the market for a
router and I find this conversation very interesting.

One thing to think about if you are considering purchasing an apple router is
if it is a good time to buy or if apple is about to update or refresh the
current model. This is the thing I have been trying to figure out because I
don’t want to purchase one and then in three months apple updates the model I
just purchased.  I can’t seem to find any information as to what year the
current model is. I don’t know if the apple airport extreme came out this year
or two or three years ago. I do know that it’s newer than my time Capsule. That
is all I can figure out so far.

Also, I love having a guest network from the apple router. I don’t know what
other routers offer this. It gives me peace of mind when my kids neighborhood
friends want to use our wifi when they come over. I don’t mind sharing the
guest network at all. :) I don’t have to give out our password to our personal
wifi nor do I have to even worry one tiny bit about hacking from all these
kids. ha ha, not likely but I feel much better when it’s not even a factor and
I can be generous instead of cringing when people ask for our wifi password.
I’m sure that there are other routers that have a guest network I just don’t
know of them. My husband wanted to try google’s router but best we can figure,
their is no guest network and I don’t know if it would be accessible. Our next
router definitely needs to have a guest network. I have heard that there are
faster and better routers than apple’s but I guess it comes down to trust and
ease of use, especially with regards to accessibility.

We do use a airport express as a wireless wifi extender. I don’t know if an
express can be used with any brand of router but it does work well with our
time capsule.

Please share any info you learn through your research because I am open to
trying something new but only if I know that I won’t have to have sighted
assistance do everything for me.  I surely would love something friendlier to
my wallet. :) I’m pretty sure that in the end we will stick with apple but I
prefer to make an informed choice.

Christina

list.