For anybody who wants to try dentinmud.org <http://dentinmud.org/> port 3000
might be a good place to start. As far as what iMud currently offers over
telnet Devin pretty much hit the nail on the head, sound support is a big
feature. iMud also has both a custom scripting language and mildly supports Lua
as a scripting language so that you can automate some features. So triggers,
timers, delays, aliases, variables (macros coming soon)

Some minor details exist now to that you may or may not like, for example you
can log output from the MUD with a timestamp, you can have custom aliases, you
can gag (or simply not display) certain spammy/repeated text.

There’s a lot of features planned down the road, some are certainly
accessibility based some are merely useful but I don’t want to promise and then
not deliver so I’ll keep quiet for now.

Oh! Last thing, iMud supports several MUD protocols already (MSP, MSDP
(mildly), MSSP, MCCP(soon), GMCP(soon)) those protocols are used by both iMud
and the MUD server, which means using only telnet you’re actually missing out
on features that the game wants to try and supply (MCCP for example is a
compression protocol good for slow connections)

For those of you testing this out just remember, it’s in beta :) (to start iMud
accessibility type OPTION+COMMAND+A)