Actually, I don’t think talking about email security is off topic but yes, as
usual, Chris was his usual hostile self.

That being said, let’s bring it squarely back on topic with that’s a fairly
nasty worm.  Tim was dead on the money.  They try with fishing expeditions to
get people to click on links.  This particular one looks like it may be ransom
ware which takes over a person’s computer and then encrypts the contents of
your disk.  YOu’ll be told to call a number and the person, usually in India
will tell you for $400 you can have the issue fixed.  If you pass and call bak
in later the cost will have jumped to $800 and so forth.  It’s a serious
serious problem.  Many institutions including some major hospitals out west had
their entire networks infected.
        To Aleeha who likes like she might have been targeted, it’s possible
you weren’t hacked at all.  Many of these bad guys use email addresses they
find in the wild to formulate a message that looks like it comes from you so
your friends will trust the link and click on it.  You’ll also see this done in
the name of many large banks, power companies or other organizations.  the idea
being if you see something you trust like your bank again you’ll click.  It’s
quite devious and a major security issue.  Aleeha it sounds like you’ve done
the right thing, I just might add scan your system for malware as an extra
precautionary step but changing your password was a good start.