Hi Scott,

 Yes all of the above.

 Two play fives would be better,
 But in my head it would be the play bar at the front center and then a play
five in each front corner,

 Then put a set of play ones or play 3 in the rear corners
So you have a 5 speaker setup,

 If you want a .1 then you'll need the sub woofer as well.

 But you could get away quite nicely with the play fives and the play bar  by
themselves,

 Put the fives in the rear corners and the bar as you said under the tv will
give you a pretty dam good surround sound

 As for speaker stands,
I've not seen one for the sonos speakers and they are a crazy shape to put on a
stand,more of a rectangular box slightly wedged towards the back of the speaker.

Each speaker needs a power socket to by the way,

 As for use by a sighted person,

 Hell if we have no trouble then he'd have no trouble.

I'd highly suggest if it was possible
Go in to your nearest sonos sales store and take a selection of music and get
them to show you the speakers in action with the configuration your thinking of

That way you get an idea of the real sounds from the speaker units.