Sudo requires a password. Type it as you did the first time, and when Terminal
asks for your password, type in the one you'd use for any other administrative
task in your Mac account.

If Terminal and Finder are both choking, are you sure the disk itself is okay?
Could there be corruption of some kind?

--
Alex Hall

list.