Hi,

Thanks Jonathan, and I can confirm that you'll need to use the second method.
Starting up from a external source is necessary unless you have root privileges
on the given machine.  Single User mode gives you those root privileges by
default, but it is less than accessible.

Best.

Tim Kilburn
Apple Teacher
Fort McMurray, AB Canada