Hi,

Did it give you an error that you can relay?  A few things to note.  From the
external startup drive, make sure that the "Ignore Ownership" checkbox in the
"Get Info" window for your mac is checked.  This will allow you to make
modifications to the Mac even though permissions may say otherwise.  Going over
some of the things you'll be doing...

1.  Start up from the external drive.
2.  Log in as an Administrator on that drive.
3. Open Terminal.
4.  Use the following commands.

ls /volumes

• this command should list the volumes connected to the current OS.  One should
be the name of your external drive and the other should be your Mac, which I'll
assume is Macintosh HD.  With it being named Macintosh HD, do the following:

cd Macintosh\ HD/var/db

• This command will change the directory focus from wherever it is to the
Macintosh HD and into its corresponding /var/db location.  This may have been
where you went astray.  If you had changed the directory but simply entered
/var/db/.AppleSetupDone as the item you wished to remove, then it was likely
trying to delete the .AppleSetupDone file in the external..  That would not
have been allowed.

Now, since focus is on the Macintosh HD's /var/db location, you should be able
to enter the following without the entire path reference.

rm .AppleSetupDone

Note that there is a period before the AppleSetupDone that might not be read by
VO depending on your Verbosity settings.  If no error is returned, then the
file should be gone.  You can confirm this with the ls command in this location.

ls -a

Note that the "a" has a dash in front of it.  This should list all the files in
the /var/db directory within the Macintosh HD.  The files that begin with the
period are normally listed first.  You can VO up/down through the list and
there should be no file named .AppleSetupDone.  Without that file, when you
start up your Mac, it will look for that file, and in its absence, start the
Setup Assistant.  During the Setup Assistant, you enter all the required info
and create a new account.  Because this account was created during the setup
process, it will be an Administrator account.  You should then have two
accounts, the new one and your old one.

So, once you know that the .AppleSetupDone file is gone, make sure that the
Startup Disk is set to the internal Macintosh HD of your Mac, then restart it
and follow the prompts.

HTH.

Later...

Tim Kilburn