I believe you are  on the right track now, but what was happening to you was
that you ended up with two copies of the documents. One being synced to your
phone and another in your documents folder. In terms of incremental backups if
you are using Apple's system where when you edit a file you don't have to
actually click save for it to be saved, then the Macintosh is automatically
making a regular backup of that file no matter where it is.
                Best wishes,

Jonathan Cohn

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/AE9A52B0-A3DA-4E81-B27B-0EC812CAF04B%40gmail.com.