From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionar...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Karen Lewellen
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:38 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: an Imac and voiceover?

Again, and I do this not to pick on you, but to I hope encourage you to
own your personal choices, without projecting on to anyone else.
what you mean I think is that for you personally these things are
important.
An academic institution wants you to get the job done,  and that job is
going to vary  from institution to institution.
Radio schools, good ones at least, still teach you how to edit the old
fashioned way, there is a reason for this, I will mention in a second.
I can also think of two or 3 universities in major markets with classes
that teach pro tools 5, because it gives you the fundamentals of the
program without
some of the bugs in say 6.  So if you were required to teach a course in
pro tools and needed to use  speech, it could certainly be done.
As for the demands of a commercial studio.  I suppose you mean the ones you
wish to personally work with?
Both Michael Bubble's last album, "crazy love" that sat at the top of the
charts  last fall for weeks, and Kiss' last album were recorded in very
commercial studios with 24 track analog technology.  no gui required.
I have a friend rather highly positioned in the kiss army, you  want to tell
Gene
Simmons that what some see as legacy technology has no use?
many popular artists are returning to the rich sound of analog, because
they are tired of canned or for many what is canned digital sound.  a well
rounded professional can give a studio both, or so I personally feel.

It may not be true for you,  and that is terrific, but speak for your own
personal
needs, not others.
  It is a serious problem when this is not done, it suggests to anyone who
is not using your machine, the entire computing population, that your tools
are the best tools for them and this may not be the case at all.
It can hurt over all access as well, because the uninformed think that if
a site works with JFW, it is accessible, when a single product should never
be the measure of workability.

There is nothing stuffy about saying, this will open professional doors
for me personally.  Nor would it have been a waste of  time to stay with a
mac in college.  That you chose differently is terrific, just say its your
choice, not that someone is making you do this.
Karen