From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionar...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Scott Howell
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2010 12:26 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: How To Get VoiceOver To Read Mail Messages Automatically

Dave,

        I can only speak for me personally, but first I believe some of
these tutorials or podcasts do make things seem complicated, but in reality
it is not as difficult as it may seem. I am sure when you started out with a
windows-based screen reader, all those keystrokes seemed a little much, but
with time you became familiar enough to get what you needed done. I have to
use windows and thus a windows-based screen reader for certain tasks
professionally, but I use a Mac both professionally and personally. I have
not found it difficult at all to accomplish tasks and even learning the
menus or other aspects of applications, while using VOiceOver. One advantage
of the Mac is that VOiceOver does not interfere with standard OS commands,
so you do have several ways to accomplish the same task. An example of this
is accessing the status menu that shows the clock, wireless network status
etc. The standard Mac command is control-f8 and the VO command is
control-option-mm (m twice). So, perhaps the issue is more that there is
more choices for getting the same thing done and on windows a windows-based
screen reader effectively takes over the keyboard. Perhaps Apple could have
used more OS-specific commands in lieu of VO-specific commands, but I cannot
comment as I was not there during the design and initial development. I have
however been using VO since the release of TIger, so I have had a good deal
of experience using the Mac. So, I also have learned how to leverage these
different ways of accomplishing various tasks. When I first started learning
about VO, I agree it seemed like a lot of commands and tricky keystrokes,
but honestly once I started using VO, it was easier than I imagined. Like
anything new, the more you use it the more quickly you will learn how to use
it effectively.
        Another thing I appreciate is the fact that I make my own choices
and I do not have to depend on the screen reader to determine what I need to
know. YOu can argue the merits of my logic because some just want to get the
task accomplished and that I agree with. I however do not want my screen
reader assuming anything because there is no way that assumption can account
for all situations. Another issue is an application you may really need is
not accessible or as much as you may require because someone has not
developed a script, set file, or other configuration that makes the
application accessible for your needs. However, with VO, provided a
developer has used standard controls and followed Apples accessibility
guidelines, the application will be accessible out of the box. In fact some
apps that do not exactly follow Apple's guidelines still will work fine, but
may take a little more effort on the user's part.
        I certainly am not interested in arguing which is better because
that debate has and still rages on. The point I want to make is that the Mac
OS or the WIndows OS, and VoiceOver and windows-based screen readers, have
their place. It is up to you as a user to choose the OS and screen reader
that best fits your needs. For me the Mac and VO has been the best thing
that has happen and I could point out more examples then I want to type, but
I again can only speak for myself. I think the number of blind users who
have switched to the Mac speaks  for itself. I will of course state that VO
like any other screen reader is not perfect, but Apple has more than proven
VOiceOver is a viable alternative, just as APple has proven the Mac and its
OS are viable alternatives.