Well, good news for me. Apparently, all I had to do to use the Zoomex was to
download the software and install it. I really got a good deal, someone was
selling their barely used Zoomex, about a year or 18 months old, had to move
it, so I got a steal. That, plus $200 to get up to the latest version of the
software, and I came out way ahead. No upgrade cost for the Mac version is even
better.

Some preliminary observations, in case anyone's giving the Eyepal or Zoomex
some thought:

The software is a self-voicing environment. It's written under X-Window,
apparently, and runs in that environment. Therefore, it's completely separate
from Voiceover, and generally speaking, its controls are inaccessible using
Voiceover. Further, it uses the same Nuance Realspeak Solo voices that the PC
version does, and also uses the same or similar commands to the Windows
version. If you're familiar with the Windows version, it appears that moving
straight across to the Mac will be fairly easy and straightforward. One thing
that threw me at first and wasn't exceedingly well documented was that you get
to the Zoomex (and, presumably, Eyepal) menu with the cmd key, much as you'd
use the alt key to pull down the menu in Windows. It looks like their design
decision was to make the softwre on the Mac look and act like the software on
Windows, so the documentation could be pretty well pulled straight across with
little to no alteration; in fact, Zoomex for the Mac even mentions that you
won't need JAWS.

I haven't tried a scan yet, but I fully expect that it will work just like
theWindows version of the software.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY