Hi Buddy,
Your observations are interesting. I'm sorry to hear that they didn't integrate
with voice over, as Alex is a whole lot better, in my opinion, than the voices
that I heard demonstrated on the Windows demo I found on blindcooltech. What
nobody has commented on in any of the demos is whether you get access to ocr
parameters or not. The blindcooltech demo of the solo unit did a pretty poor
job with numbers, for instance, and one of the pages the guy scanned with the
eyepal yielded garbage of the sort you use to see with much older versions of
Openbook or K1000, when the ocr misinterpreted a graphic and tried to turn it
into text. For the kind of money these folks want. I would hope the ocr would
be state of the art, not some old engine like Recognita. Of course, the image
quality from a camera isn't as many picsels per inch as you get from a flat-bed
scanner, so perhaps the funky results in the demo were caused by generally
poorer image quality? Of course, the demo on the abisee site had flawless
recognition, but they used a simple typed page of text of the sort that yielded
near perfect ocr with systems 15 years ago. It is tempting to try this system.
The speed and portability with a macbook air and this device would be wonderful
for students or busy professionals. The website didn't list a return policy; I
wish it did, since today seems to be the only day for this seriously discounted
price.

mary

Mary Otten
motte...@gmail.com