I don't think this is such a bad idea, because it keeps reinforcing the industry. If Apple, google and other companies that produce smart phones want to keep up the current success of said phones, then investing in the networks will eventually result in an even bigger success rates. If the carriers can't maintain the network, the sale of smart phones will dwindle and the carriers as well as the smart phone producers will have a bad time all around. The big question however is, if this goes through, how much extra costs will that generate for the customers? But to be fair, that's always the question with changes in various industries.

On a short of-topic note: I didn't think the few politics-related messages were relevant to the subject as politics didn't get mentioned anywhere in the article or in the on-topic replies. I'm just mentioning this as this is an international list with god knows how many people from various backgrounds and politics is one of those subjects that always causes trouble in such a varied group. (just my opinion)