As someone pointed out, Apple can ensure a certain experience on the Mac
platform by not supporting a very wide variety of hardware types THis model has
worked well for Apple and honestly most people do not care what is under the
hood, but instead care if it works. I used to like hacking and mucking about
with machines, but now I just want to turn it on and get my task completed. I
do not want to build hardware, compile programs, etc. You know this whole APple
experience is all about it just working and in 99% of the cases it does just
that.
Scott