he must have been running some pretty off the path hardware.
I ran a hackintosh on unsupported hardware from 10.4 on up to the current OS X
10.6. I got an apple mac mini earlier this year and dumped the Hackintosh. for
me, setting it up was a lot easier than most. I stuck with an intel branded
motherboard with a chipset that was easy to support, a video card from nvidia
that IS supported and a sound card that can be supported. this made setting it
up and getting it to work a lot easier.

now, if you try this on an AMD cpu, you are going to have a lot of issues. in
some cases, you won't even have a working machine because of all the issues.

anyway, if you can get a used mac mini, get it. they are under $400 and work
very well.

-Eric