Hi Geoff:It really comes down to what you need, and how you prefer to navigate.
 The beauty of this whole system is it's built-in flexibility, and the choices
it affords.  Unfortunately, this also makes learning the system more difficult
sometimes.  Kind of like too many differing kinds of toothpaste each of which
does essentially the same thing.:)
Some people like to use  trackpad, some numbed, some just prefer a pc. (sorry
for them.:)
I'd have to say, unless you just want to play with another option for
navigating, there's no need to add a trackpad to your configuration. JMO.

Carolyn,