Les,
When I used Blackboard with my Mac I used Omniweb since safari would
continuously say busy and just gave me a lot of trouble. It worked much better
in Omniweb.I would suggest you try that and see if it works better. If you are
using ML I am not sure how it'll be but with Lion it worked really well.

Hope that helps.

Becky and Ceil