On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 11:26:29AM +0200, ext Frantisek Dufka wrote:

> Well, what I meant is instead of having XSPSetPixelDoubling call in Xsp
> we would have XSPBlitRectangle with addition flags - i.e. something
> still non-standard but easier to use. If this cannot be done then it is
> bad luck. If hardware has useful feature which does not fit the design,
> using extension is not that bad.

The initial drawing requests are long-forgotten, and we'd need some
pretty extensive modification to all the internals to mark a particular
region as being doubled.

> >Specifying that pixels must be exactly _doubled_ is a
> >hack around both the performance issues and a lack of resolution
> >independence.  Apparently an important one, if you happen to like SDL
> >games, but a hack nonetheless.
>
> Yes limiting ourselves to doubling is bad. Why not to add custom ratio
> if N800 can do that.

We can do more or less arbitrary scaling, yes, but unfortunately with a
few limitations (either we do it on the display controller and suffer the
bandwidth hit, or do it on Hailstorm and suffer its horribly complicated
semantics for dealing with overlays).

> This all leads to request to have some more advanced gaming API. Sadly
> this is probably not what internet tablets are currently designed for.
> Gamers are big target group and this device is meant for entertainment
> so maybe extending target audience to gamers in not that bad idea.
> Gaming devices are moving online too so this is direct competition. Why
> to buy internet tablet if better Sony or Nintendo device in future will
> do this too plus gaming. Unfortunately gaming business has complicated
> rules similar in complexity to devices with GSM radio. BTW are internet
> tablets in same Nokia multimedia division as N-Gage?

I don't know which division N-Gage is in.  I can't speak for the product
managers as to targeting market segments and all the other things they
like to say.

Cheers,
Daniel