See timeline at http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Maemo_roadmap/Fremantle

> - somewhat accurate device emulation or developer device program (with
> devices reaching developer hands before end users)

We are doing our best in the emulation front.

Access to hardware before sales start is expensive and highly regulated.
Nokia provides such access business-as-usual to certain developers,
usually through commercial or research agreements with private or public
organizations. Doing the same for individuals or small groups without a
legal entity is something we could do in Maemo. But you see our point of
working with a selected list of projects beforehand.

> - in general as much information as possible preferably to everyone

Sure, I don't think information to everyone is the problem.

> If we get this then no special help may be needed.

Then how do you explain that so many promising community projects fail
in the last mile (or before)? Some developers look for more time, some
projects look for certain skills, some look for more testing, more
feedback, more help...

>> What kind of support? Whatever those cool projects under development
>> need to be stable and exciting for real users. You tell us and we will
>> do our best helping you.
>
> Do you have anything specific on your mind? What kind of help Nokia
> expects to provide in this support project? Does it include @nokia.com
> developers who will help with porting specific code to newer OS? I guess
> not.

Why not. Surely the work wouldn't be done by the Maemo SW developers
busy stabilizing Fremantle, but why not funding someone else to work on
that.

Don't guess, propose!

--
Quim Gil