According to Kemal Hadimli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Sorry about the ticket stuff, and thanks for the ranty review :)

Thanks for taking it in the intended spirit.

> Scanner is ran on postinst with a special parameter (--install) to
> either upgrade/wipe the song db or to update the theme cache. It
> shouldn't be needing X11 in that state, (and doesn't for me) though I
> didn't try it with dpkg/apt.

Here's the error message:

# su user - -c "/usr/bin/kagu-scanner --install"
debug1: client_input_channel_open: ctype x11 rchan 1 win 8000 max 8000
debug1: client_request_x11: request from 127.0.0.1 40210
debug1: channel 1: new [x11]
debug1: confirm x11
debug1: channel 1: free: x11, nchannels 2
./kagu-scanner.py:23: RuntimeWarning: import cdrom: No module named cdrom
  import sqlite3,os,mutagen,mutagen.easyid3,urllib,string,math,pygame,sys,time
./kagu-scanner.py:23: RuntimeWarning: import joystick: No module named joystick
  import sqlite3,os,mutagen,mutagen.easyid3,urllib,string,math,pygame,sys,time
The application 'kagu-scanner.py' lost its connection to the display
localhost:10.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.

(The debug1: messages are, I think, from ssh/dropbear. The problem is
that there is no xauth binary for the N800 that I've been able to find.)

Unsetting DISPLAY, I get this:

# su user - -c "/usr/bin/kagu-scanner --install"
./kagu-scanner.py:23: RuntimeWarning: import cdrom: No module named cdrom
  import sqlite3,os,mutagen,mutagen.easyid3,urllib,string,math,pygame,sys,time
./kagu-scanner.py:23: RuntimeWarning: import joystick: No module named joystick
  import sqlite3,os,mutagen,mutagen.easyid3,urllib,string,math,pygame,sys,time
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./kagu-scanner.py", line 24, in <module>
    import pygtk,gtk,gobject
  File
"debian/python2.5-gtk2/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py",
 line 83, in <module>
  File
"debian/python2.5-gtk2/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py",
 line 70, in _init
NameError: global name '_gtk' is not defined

So what it looks like is that the import of pygtk (or gtk) is trying to
initialize the X11 system, and failing. Maybe modifying the scanner so
it doesn't do the import on the "--install" codepath?

> If Kagu was not installed before, the postinst process should be
> pretty fast since it just tries to read the db version and wipes it if
> it's old, requiring kagu to run scanner on its first run.

Oh, it's plenty fast (when installing via the AM). The slowness I was
whining about was the application manager.

> OTOH if Kagu _was_ installed before, and the db version didn't change
> (ie. upgrading from 1.0.8 to 1.0.9 it didn't) it will utilize pygame
> and rebuild your artist/album imagecache. Shouldn't take more than a
> few secs provided you don't use the cover art functionality. I have to
> admit if you have a lot of images it will take some time. I have 180
> different cover images and just timed it, takes nearly 150 seconds
> (uh) for me.

If I was installing via the AM, and it hung for 150 seconds with no
visible output, I'd be worried.

> Kagu features and wishlist is discussed in ITT forums (there's a
> thread for each release though a little disorganized category-wise) or
> in #kagu,

Okay, I'll poke around there.  Thanks for the response.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net