On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 04:48:35PM +0000, Steve Greenland wrote:
> According to Krischan Keitsch  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > to a) "Were are all the apps?"
> > One thing that we are missing is a 'distribution' (the debian or ubuntu
> > way)
> > with primary repositories  and additional repos. etc.
>
> Actually, I think we *have* that repo: repository.maemo.org. The problem
> is that there is no obvious, straightforward way for Jill Random to get
> her packages into the repo. Is this documented anywhere? A quick browse
> of maemo.org didn't find anything.

http://maemo.org/community/application-catalog/extras_repository.html

I still haven't found the time to do that and instead keep the few
packages I need in my ad-hoc repository :(

> But as I noted, there seems to be some plans to improve this situation.
>
> And, admittedly, it's not as easy as just letting anonymous people
> upload. Any package can trash the entire system, via the install hooks.
> Debian deals with this by making it so painful to become an official
> developer that the asshats won't make the effort.

I think Ubuntu's MOTU model is worth looking at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU

> OTOH, the current situation encourages the addition of random repos to
> the source list, so basically is no different than letting random people
> upload.

My other pet peeve is that this encourages binary-only debs which you
can't then fix/port to a different SDK version.

I sincerely hope Maemo Extras rejects sourceless packages.

Marius Gedminas
--
Did you know that 7/5 people don't know how to use fractions?