On 26/10/2007, at 10:57 AM, Steve Greenland wrote:

> According to Kemal Hadimli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> Some of the developers won't use the repositories no matter what you
>> do, and as far as I can tell/analyze, the reasons are:
>>
>> - It's hard (well, not well-documented) to get access to, and to set
>> up keys etc.
>> - Distributing files from garage downloads are much easier (and can
>> track download counts)

Then these issues need to be fixed. Failing to centralise the
available packages negates a potential massive advantage (for users,
for developers, and for Nokia) of using Debian-style packages in the
first place. It's been something that has bugged me massively since I
first got my 770. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of
victory...

>> They don't care about the advantages (easy rolling of releases and
>> auto-installation of dependencies) because there are ways to get
>> around them.
>
> Then they don't care about their users. End of story.
>
> The way to solve this is to make the repo more attractive. Make
> "download counts" available[1]. Make it easy to know *what* repo you
> should put your packages in. Make it clear that not using the repo is
> not socially acceptable. Make it clear what the requirements are to
> get
> into the repo. Make it easy.
>
> Now, I don't think there will ever be a time when everything
> (non-official Nokia) is in one repo. Even Debian has it's special
> purpose repos, such as backports.org. But for the most part, if your
> package isn't in the central Debian repo, it doesn't exist.

Steve is absolutely spot-on here, from start to finish.

Personally, I'd urge Nokia to find someone (who understands the
issues of e.g. library packaging) to have a thorough read of Debian
policy and come up with a maemo policy at least partly based on it -
this will be necessary to ensure that everything in the repository or
repositories will "play friendly" and DTRT.

There may at first appear to be weirdnesses in the way Debian does
things, but in general it's all there for a reason and has been
carefully (and often painfully) considered, and found to work. There
will be good reasons for doing things differently in some areas and
perhaps for pitching it at a slightly different level, but be careful
that these reasons are stated and understood internally at least.

Cheers,

Nick