According to James Sparenberg  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I fully understand what it's doing .... but not why it's doing it.  Since the
> act of doing the first update is the equivalent of "apt-get update"  However
> if you use Adept/Synaptic/dpkg etc the act of the update accumulates all of
> this information in one act.

No, they don't.

Every time you start aptitude, it has to read the dpkg and apt database
files and load its internal data structures, even if you haven't done
an update. Every time you run an install, after it completes, aptitude
has to re-read the files/caches and reload its internal data structures.
The AM is doing the same, reading the dpkg database and loading its GUI
list structures. What makes it painful is that you can only act on one
package at time.

Regards,
Steve

--