On Friday 19 October 2007 09:44:53 Steve Greenland wrote:
> According to James Sparenberg  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > I fully understand what it's doing .... but not why it's doing it.  Since
> > the act of doing the first update is the equivalent of "apt-get update"
> > However if you use Adept/Synaptic/dpkg etc the act of the update
> > accumulates all of this information in one act.
>
> No, they don't.
>
> Every time you start aptitude, it has to read the dpkg and apt database
> files and load its internal data structures, even if you haven't done
> an update. Every time you run an install, after it completes, aptitude
> has to re-read the files/caches and reload its internal data structures.
> The AM is doing the same, reading the dpkg database and loading its GUI
> list structures. What makes it painful is that you can only act on one
> package at time.
>
> Regards,
> Steve

I'll concede that it could be a perceptual point more than anything.  But some
aspects are in one act.  When I do an apt-get update  not only does it check
for changes to the DB but it also adjust them IAW my existing DB.  Or am I
making myself as clear as mud.  ( I know what I want to say and most likely
I'm to tired to say it. Creating a new installer for my companies production
environments.)

And yes the one at a time is painful and IMHO leads to frustration.... and me
using apt.

James