On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Kevin T.
Neely<ktne...@astroturfgarden.com> wrote:
> There's a lot of talk that Nokia should release a Maemo netbook.  Is there a
> working port of Maemo to Intel-based chips?  I only know of the ARM version
> for the tablets.
>
> This was partially mentioned above, but I don't think enough weight has been
> given to the fact that Nokia has just within the past three months announced
> major partnerships with both Intel and Microsoft.  I don't see it as
> surprising that a corporate-focused booklet would choose this platform.
>
> And remember, the N900 is coming out.  The OS/2 comparison is interesting,
> and it may well be that Maemo stays firmly in the "hobbyist" arena.  But i
> think we will see Maemo take a bigger role as the laptop and phone continue
> to merge into a new hybrid device (of which netbooks and internet tablets
> are early forays into this class of device.

If they put Maemo on a netbook then there's really no excuse for not
backporting Freemantle to the N8x0 series. At least with the tablets
the interface doesn't have to be completely replaced, only a few
hardware drivers. And no, what works on a 4" screen is NOT appropriate
for a 7" or larger screen and vice-versa. Frankly, I don't like the
direction that GUIs are taking in general. Everybody is hopping on the
Apple bandwagon of having to scroll through miles or pages of random
icons instead of much quicker and more functional nested lists. Style
over substance...

Mark