Kevin T. Neely wrote:
> There's a lot of talk that Nokia should release a Maemo netbook.  Is
> there a working port of Maemo to Intel-based chips?  I only know of
> the ARM version for the tablets.

Not that I'm aware of.

> This was partially mentioned above, but I don't think enough weight
> has been given to the fact that Nokia has just within the past three
> months announced major partnerships with both Intel and Microsoft.  I
> don't see it as surprising that a corporate-focused booklet would
> choose this platform.

I don't have any qualms with the Atom processor as an energy efficient
device but I've never been fond of Intel's business practices (their
dealings with the OLPC project are only one of many). Also, I don't
really see that Nokia are marketing the Booklet 3G as a corporate platform.

q.v. http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/mini-laptop and
http://conversations.nokia.com/2009/08/24/nokia-booklet-3g-mini-laptop-unveiled

> And remember, the N900 is coming out.  The OS/2 comparison is
> interesting, and it may well be that Maemo stays firmly in the
> "hobbyist" arena.  But i think we will see Maemo take a bigger role as
> the laptop and phone continue to merge into a new hybrid device (of
> which netbooks and internet tablets are early forays into this class
> of device.

And the N97 handset has already released based on Symbian OS 9.4 and
Series 60 v5 UI running on the ARM 11 proc. I guess I don't see what
they have to gain by moving in to the already overcrowded "Wintel" market.

-Gary