On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Gary <g...@eyetraxx.net> wrote:

> Kevin T. Neely wrote:
> > I just recall a good bit of the video's focus was aimed at the
> > corporate commuter types (so-called VPN-less connection to corporate
> > email being first in my mind), so I thought that was a market segment
> > they were going after.
> That's just Microsoft ActiveSync and it's no real feat if they're just
> using Microsoft clients. They may also be licensing ActiveSync for any
> Nokia developed apps but that's just guesswork on my part.

Actually, it's a new MSFT technology called DirectConnect (or DirectAccess
or something like that) that is basically a multi-path IPv6 IPSEC tunnel.  I
guess they can say "no VPN needed" because it only goes to the corp network
when it needs to, but this seems to be really splitting hairs and I think of
it as a VPN.

It supports multi-factor authentication (of course, this will kill the
seamless nature) so I would bet this will replace the MS PPTP solution.

It requires MS Direct Connect server and something on the client end (just
MS Windows, I think) for it to work.  Though, if it is just IPSEC, I guess
other clients could connect to it.

PPTP needs to be replaced, so this looks nice.  Seeing as my company has its
own VPN solution, I doubt we will be deploying this.

In Vino Veritas
http://rubbernecking.info