I just recall a good bit of the video's focus was aimed at the corporate
commuter types (so-called VPN-less connection to corporate email being first
in my mind), so I thought that was a market segment they were going after.

I suspect an Ubuntu or other Linux port to this booklet would not be too
difficult and that we'll see one soon after launch.  Maybe even from some
Linux hobbyists from within Nokia in the same way Sony releases unsupported
versions for the Playstation.  That would satisfy me.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Gary <g...@eyetraxx.net> wrote:

> Kevin T. Neely wrote:
>
> I don't have any qualms with the Atom processor as an energy efficient
> device but I've never been fond of Intel's business practices (their
> dealings with the OLPC project are only one of many). Also, I don't
> really see that Nokia are marketing the Booklet 3G as a corporate platform.
>
> q.v. http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/mini-laptop and
>
> http://conversations.nokia.com/2009/08/24/nokia-booklet-3g-mini-laptop-unveiled
>
> > And remember, the N900 is coming out.  The OS/2 comparison is
> > interesting, and it may well be that Maemo stays firmly in the
> > "hobbyist" arena.  But i think we will see Maemo take a bigger role as
> > the laptop and phone continue to merge into a new hybrid device (of
> > which netbooks and internet tablets are early forays into this class
> > of device.
>
> And the N97 handset has already released based on Symbian OS 9.4 and
> Series 60 v5 UI running on the ARM 11 proc. I guess I don't see what
> they have to gain by moving in to the already overcrowded "Wintel" market.
>
> -Gary

In Vino Veritas
http://rubbernecking.info