On 5 Jun 2014, at 16:47, Sherif Soliman wrote:

I had to pull the test version. The fix has broken the display of plain text messages on Mavericks for several users. It works for me though and I haven't yet figured out what makes it fail for other users, but I'm looking into it.

If this is going to prompt a rewriting of the decoding and re/deflowing scripts,

It didn't :-)

I'd like to bring up something I think I did once in the past.

Replying to some emails (I think mostly ones sent from Gmail accounts) always changes the text from flowing until it finds a newline character to being hard wrapped to a certain line width. As in, it introduces newline chars to make lines and paragraphs a lot shorter than what the window width would make them, and they do not wrap around as I resize the window. This also remains the case after the reply is sent and I look at the reply message in browser.

(I wanted to attach a screenshot, but Distortion mode doesn't distort email body content apparently).

I think Benny said that it was specific to replies to messages from a Gmail account. A proposed workaround was to select all the text and then reply, which for some reason did reflow the text as one would want/expect. However, that workaround is a hassle, and it introduces strange added empty lines/newline characters.

That strangeness is exactly why it's not the default behavior. The problem is that Gmail messages hard-wrap the plain text body part of a message. Every HTML message must have an equivalent plain text body part. This is what is used by MailMate when replying, because handling HTML is, in general, an error-prone heuristic game which is hard to win.

Note that when a user tells Gmail to send plain text only then the message is still hard-wrapped. This is, in my opinion, horribly primitive.

Is there any chance that this is going to fixed in the near future?

I never promise anything, but it would be nice to improve because Gmail is ubiquitous (and I really dislike hard-wrapping). The best/proper fix would be if Gmail started to support `format=flowed`, but I asked them to do that years ago and I guess it's unlikely to happen. MailMate can work around the issue in three bad ways:

* Heuristically unwrap the plain text body part. Problem: Some times MailMate is going to unwrap something which shouldn't have been unwrapped. * If present, convert the HTML body part to plain text. Problem: There is really no way to be sure how Gmail uses HTML and it could change at any time. * A combination of the above. Base it on plain text and use the HTML text as a hint with respect to line wrapping. Problem: Non-trivial but probably the best approach.

If no HTML body part is present in the message then only the first option is viable. Option 1 would require some way to disable this behavior. Option 3 would probably be quite safe. None of the options are specific to Gmail, but could work for emails generated by other hard-wrapping email clients as well.

That's my thoughts on the issue. New ideas are welcome, especially if I've overlooked the obvious perfect solution.

For the record, that problem did not happen in the reply to this message.

That's because you replied to a message written in a proper email client which does not hard-wrap plain text ;-)