From: mailop [mailto:mailop-boun...@mailop.org] On Behalf Of Aaron C. de Bruyn
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2016 11:06 AM
To: Jay Hennigan <mailop-l...@keycodes.com>
Cc: mailop@mailop.org
Subject: Re: [mailop] Mail accepted by outlook.com/hotmail.com disappears.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 10:04 PM, Jay Hennigan
<mailop-l...@keycodes.com<mailto:mailop-l...@keycodes.com>> wrote:
Am I just grumpy this week?

Kinda.

The desire to move to a small cabin in the woods and never hear the words
'e-mail' or 'Microsoft' ever again sounds perfect right about now--so I guess I
am grumpy.  ;)

Is e-mail no longer a cooperative system?

It is. Please be at least as aggressive with stopping spam leaving your network
as you are with that entering it.

I guess that's the crux of the problem.

* It's not my mail server.
* The customer can't afford full-time IT staff to manage and monitor their
infrastructure.  They don't want to pay us to manage their mail server until it
has problems.
* Microsoft makes it extremely difficult to get delisted once there are
problems (like a virus that blasts out spam)
* They like having a mail server that costs them $0/year for the last 8 years,
so they don't want to pay $200/mo to switch to Exchange online.

I guess one of those things is going to have to 'give'.  I'd like it to be
"Microsoft making it extremely difficult to get delisted once a virus has been
cleaned up", but that's a pipe dream.

*sigh*

Thanks for the input Jay.

-A