I agree with Ken that the need for guidelines is well intended. Many legitimate
senders want to avoid pushing too hard and wasting resources on both ends. But
I think exchanging specific limits between receiver and sender via a new
mechanism is infeasible, and may not even be needed.

Why not start with bringing some clarity to SMTP replies and sender guidelines?
Enhanced status codes or clear messages can tell the sender to (temporarily)
stop sending from an IP or domain. Professional MTAs can already handle this
using adaptive delivery settings.

I know that some are seeking the exact message rate that they are allowed to
send, but reputation and throttling is not exact science. I don't see what's
wrong with sending a burst of messages, stopping at the first reputation error,
and resuming after some predefined delay.

Maarten Oelering
Postmastery